Frankenbeans! (Hot Dogs and Pink Beans in a Skillet)

18 Feb

It’s a sad irony that I finally have perfected Latin white rice (thanks to my dad’s technique) and the doctor tells me that I have to reduce carbs for my triglycerides or somesuch! Terrible.

But Leandro received no such warning, so he gets to enjoy my now fantastic rice with any number of dishes.

Here’s franks and beans with an ever-so-slightly Latin flavor. Goya’s Latin-style tomato sauce and cilantro and culantro put a little spring in the step of this easy, kid-friendly dish. My parents used to make us something similar when we were kids, so it was fun to try and recreate them. They have very little in common with the sweet gooey canned Franks and Beans you find. This are actually grown-up worthy too!

Beans and Franks

Beans and Franks

I use Applegate Farms Organic Beef Hotdogs. I prefer organic meats as a rule. These also don’t use synthetic nitrites, but it isn’t clear from what I have read that natural nitrites are any better than synthetic. They are more expensive than your standard supermarket dogs, but I feel that they are worth it.

Leandro loves these, and they reheat very well for his lunch thermos the next day. (In the morning, when I am boiling water for tea, I boil extra to pour in the Thermos to warm it up. Then I dump the water, put in the hot food, and it is still warm a few hours later for his lunch ).

Frankenbeanie!

Frankenbeanie!

Frankenbeans

1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil

½ Cup onion, minced

1 tsp garlic, chopped

3 hot dogs, sliced into ½ inch rounds

1 Tbs fresh cilantro chopped

1 tsp fresh culantro (recao; sawtooth coriander) or other green herb of your choice, chopped, optional

8 oz can Goya Latin Style Tomato Sauce

2 pinches salt

2 pinches hot red pepper flakes

½ tsp ketchup

1 Cup pink beans (soaked or from a can)

In a large skillet, heat oil on medium high and add onions, Stir to coat, lower heat, and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add garlic and cook an additional minute or two, until the house smells good and the vegetables are wilted. Add hot dogs and stir, then add cilantro and culantro or other herbs. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, then add tomato sauce, salt, red pepper, and ketchup to taste. Add beans. You will probably want to add about ¼ Cup water to thin. Simmer for 10 minutes r more and serve with Latin-style white rice.

9 Responses to “Frankenbeans! (Hot Dogs and Pink Beans in a Skillet)”

1. Bluejellybeans February 18, 2013 at 5:53 pm #

Este es el tipo de recetas que le encantaría a mis hijos… por eso me la guardo para una noche de estas 😉 Me encanta que hayas colgado el link sobre el culantro. A mi mucha gente me pregunta la diferencia entre culantro y cilantro y ahora tengo material para ilustrar mis alabanzas hacia el culantro 😉
    Un saludo!
    G

• Natalia at Hot, Cheap & Easy February 19, 2013 at 10:42 am #

Gracias Giovanna! Esto fue el gran éxito con el mío. Te comprendo sobre lo del culantro. Yo lo cultivo en una tiesta para tenerlo todo el agno…ya estoy a punto de sembrar una tanda nueva para el verano….

2. kathryningrid February 18, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

Tasty! I find it amusing and still rather surprising that people don’t think to make homemade versions of so many ‘traditional favorites’–but then I remember that I probably never tasted homemade macaroni and cheese or baked beans or refritos or any number of other delectables until I was well past childhood myself. Just glad I know the pleasures of homemade now!!!

3. cecilia February 18, 2013 at 11:00 am #

carbs are not all they are cracked up to be anyway, what would i miss most is roast potatoes,I could not cut down on those though bread and rice and pasta are easy for me to leave out.. I love that Leandro still takes lunch to school, the pretend food served at schools makes me cringe.. c

• Natalia at Hot, Cheap & Easy February 18, 2013 at 11:22 am #

I find that carbs are harder to cut out because I prepare them for Leandro all the time. eventually I will owrk it out!! (the school food is atrocious; even he thinks so! He’s had the pizza a couple of times in extremis, but that’s it. A lot of work for me though!) Thanks for the visit….

4. Mad Dog February 18, 2013 at 9:48 am #

They sound great – I was just craving sausage and red lentil stew… they might get some cilantro added to them now 😉

5. twbarritt February 18, 2013 at 8:30 am #

Still one of my favorite dishes, all these years and cooking courses later!