As a longtime food lover and food writer, I am passionate about eating well. I don’t just consume food; I also love to cook. Nothing makes me happier than planning, shopping for, preparing and sitting down to delicious meals. But in my past footloose and fancy-free life, I had plenty of time to muck around in the kitchen. Now that I am a fulltime college instructor and the single mother of an active toddler, I barely have time to get my make-up on in the morning, much less plan elaborate meals for 14! This blog is about keeping my food life luscious, sexy and vibrant (Hot), while making everything more economical (Cheap) and dead simple (Easy). Find me, follow me, inform me; there’s gotta be a way to make this work!
Why I Am Hot, Cheap & Easy
Thanksgiving Sides and Sweets: A Recipe Round-Up « Hot, Cheap & Easy -
November 17, 2012
[…] Why I Am Hot, Cheap & Easy […]
Natalia de Cuba Romero
Great food - Simply
Eat Your Way Through Puerto Rico: Chow Like a Native
Unlock the Language of Puerto Rican Flavor
Top Posts & Pages
- Latin-Style Yellow Rice (Arroz Amarillo)
- A Natural Mosquito Repellent? We test it.
- Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions (Burger Topping Extraordinaire)
- Crispy Beer Battered Oysters: Delightfully Light, Incredibly Easy
- Pastelón de amarillos/plátano maduro (Puerto Rican lasagne, with ripe plantains!)
- Roasted Pattypan Squash (yes, you can eat the rind)
- Tuna Salad (With two secret ingredients)
- Make Your Party Puerto Rican: Ten Recipes for Great Island Food
- Bacalaitos: Light and Luscious Puerto Rican Cod Fritters
- Arroz con pollo clásico (Puerto Rican Chicken and Rice, traditional and epic)
- "#DevinNunes has gone rogue" #RepJackieSpeier House Intel Com "Sabotage" #WhereTheresSmokeTheresTreason #POTUS @cnnbrk @adriana_tweets 1 day ago
- Oh to be a fly on the Obama family wall....#epicGOPfail #TheArtofNoDeal #NotReadyForPrimeTimeGOP #CommanderInChaos @BarackObama 4 days ago
¡Comida Hispana! Recipes to unleash your inner Latino
It was another summer Friday in the neighborhood and that called for another festive cocktail. Riding high on the success of last session’s passionfruit mojitos, I decided to make mango mojitos. The drink itself followed much the same construction, but the mango was decidedly sweeter than the passionfruit, so I decided that it needed a […]
Summer evenings in the neighborhood can be wonderful. Occasionally on a Friday some of us neighbors bring out folding chairs and sit together in one front yard for a bit of happy hour while the kids go mental on someone else’s lawn. It’s pretty much BYO, but we do mix up a pitcher of experimental […]
We spent the better part of last summer in Puerto Rico, and among the tasty things that my little guy fell in love with was tembleque, a jiggly (temblar means to tremble) dessert that falls somewhere between pudding and flan. I promised him we’d make it back in New York, and this weekend, for a […]
When the heat gets tropical, so should the drinks. On a recent trip to the mountains of Puerto Rico, I was inspired by a wonderfully cooling and exotic sangría I had up around and about El Yumque (Caribbean National Forest, the only tropical rainforest in the U.S. Forest Service system) at Noelia’s, recommended to us […]
There are a number of land crab species skittering about Caribbean coastlines. Some are edible and the one we eat most here in Puerto Rico (although I am told they mostly are imported from Venezuela these days) is Cardisoma guanhumi which we call juey and — if you are English-speaking — you might call the […]
Can I Help You Find Something?
Hot, Cheap & Easy by Natalia de Cuba Romero is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at hotcheapeasy.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://hotcheapeasy.com.