Whether it’s Memorial Day, Fourth of July, or Christmas, the following dishes – most of them quite easy to prepare and using ingredients available in regular supermarkets (especially those that carry Goya products) — are a medley of the best of Puerto Rican food. This is not a complete list, of course, but mix and match them up and you will have a big table of big, bold food that will introduce everyone to new flavor combinations without scaring them off!
Have a terrific weekend everyone! Buen provecho…..
1. Tostones – Our version of french fries…made with plantains. This is the authentic method with some secret steps!
2. Mayo-Ketchup – a mix of mayonnaise and ketchup, given a spicy, smoky chipotle update in this recipe
3. Arroz con pollo – Chicken and Rice. This is everyone’s sentimental favorite (and a good bet for the kids)
4. Pollo guisado – a simple chicken stew with beer AND wine. The alcohol burns off and leaves a kiddie favorite!
5. Pastelón de amarillos – an apocalyptic layered casserole of sweet plantains and savory beef. A bit more involved, but well worth the effort if you want to surprise and impress.
6. Pastelón de yuca – seasoned ground beef topped with mashed yuca and baked
7. Perníl – Roast Pork – the granddaddy of all buffet tables
8. a. Arroz con habichuelas – traditional Puerto Rican rice and beans (with cheats if you can’t find the right ingredients
8. b. Pedro’s Perfect White Rice (an even more perfect rice recipe)
9. Yuca en vinagreta/Ensalada de yuca – like a potato salad, except, denser, bolder, and well…better. Vegan!
10. Tomato and Avocado Salad – a stalwart side that goes with most any dish!