Silky Leek & Potato Soup (no cream)

7 Nov

Soup season is here! Here is a simple leek and potato soup, more silky than creamy. I don’t like too much richness competing with the loveliness of the leeks so I skip the cream and the potatoes give it a good mouth feel. Having said that, I use homemade vegetable stock (usually made from vegetable clippings) that tends to bring a lot of vegetable flavor and sweetness of its own. I call that complexity and like it!

Wash leeks thoroughly as they can hold onto a lot of dirt!

Wash leeks thoroughly as they can hold onto a lot of dirt!

I don’t have much else to say about this one, except that it does everything a busy person needs: easy prep, tastes great on the day and reheats beautifully in the office microwave for days to come. Oh yeah, and it’s in season now!

I dot a bit of nonfat plain yogurt for fun!

I dot a bit of nonfat plain yogurt for fun!

Leek and Potato Soup (makes four generous bowls)

3 Tbs unsalted butter

1 lb leeks

1 pinch salt

1 lb potatoes (Yukon Gold preferred), peeled and chopped into 1/4” chunks

1 quart vegetable stock

Salt and fresh ground pepper

Melt the butter at moderate heat in a soup pot.

Meanwhile, cut off the green part of the leeks and the root end and discard. Clean the remaining white parts thoroughly. Slice the leeks roughly. Place the leeks in the butter and a generous pinch of salt and sweat the leeks for five minutes, Then lower heat to medium low and let the leeks cook for 25 minutes, until really tender.

Add the potatoes and stock and simmer until the potatoes are tender (about 15 minutes). Puree with an immersion blender or mash with a potato ricer to desired consistency. Check for salt and serve with grated pepper (and croutons if desired).

10 Responses to “Silky Leek & Potato Soup (no cream)”

1. cecilia November 7, 2014 at 10:08 am #

I love it when a soup will reheat for the next day.. and somehow it always tastes better..

I still have leeks in the garden and need to dig them before the freeze, maybe we will have this tonight.. thanks for the inspiration.. c

• Natalia at Hot, Cheap & Easy November 7, 2014 at 11:40 pm #

Thanks for the visit, Cecilia! We’ve been overwhelmingly busy here…looking forward to a good long catch-up with life at The Farmy soon!!!

2. Mad Dog November 7, 2014 at 9:10 am #

I buy leeks and potatoes almost every week, but I rarely make leek and potato soup and not because i don’t like it. I’ll have to change things and try yours 😉

• Natalia at Hot, Cheap & Easy November 7, 2014 at 11:41 pm #

I do love leeks and eggs…what do you do with them?

• Mad Dog November 8, 2014 at 6:52 am #

Quite often I just slice them and boil them with other vegetables, but they are great in stews and pies and I save the tops for stock 🙂

3. Ema Jones November 7, 2014 at 7:04 am #

I’m adding in some diced cottage cheese, plz suggest…

• Natalia at Hot, Cheap & Easy November 7, 2014 at 11:42 pm #

I would do plain non fat yogurt as a garnish/topper before I would do cottage cheese…let me know what you decide!

• Ema Jones November 8, 2014 at 12:12 am #

Hey Natalia, I’ll take your idea of including plain non-fat yogurt as a garnish/topping 🙂

• Natalia at Hot, Cheap & Easy November 8, 2014 at 12:17 am #

Let me know how it goes!!!!

• Ema Jones November 8, 2014 at 12:57 am #

Hey, I’ll definitely try my hands at Silky Leek & Potato Soup 🙂
        Have a yummilicious weekend!