Healthy Teacher Starts Now

1 Sep

I don’t relish having to wake up at 5:30 a.m. again, after a long summer of sleeping ’till (gasp!) 6:30, but a new semester brings its own small pleasures. Meeting new students, seeing cherished colleagues again, embarking on new projects on campus…and…a little more structure to my eating habits.

Our classes in the LINCC program are long: three to five hours five days a week for 15 weeks (plus all the prep and meetings that happen outside the classroom hours), so there’s a 20-minute break for snack and then once class is over I eat lunch. We have a fridge and a microwave and so it’s convenient for BYOFood and for avoiding between meal noshing.

For some reason my smartphone images sometimes end up sideways....but you get the...picture

In anticipation of back-to-school I got some bento boxes and have already prepared my lunch for tomorrow (the grandparents have taken Leandro to a powwow today so I could collect myself!) and I am sharing day one’s meals with you!

Happy Back-To-School everyone. If I am not too frantic, I will share my little guy’s first day of Second Grade (!) lunch bento….

7 Responses to “Healthy Teacher Starts Now”

1. Imarunner2012 September 1, 2014 at 1:30 pm #

A job does enforce some structure on our lives. I am working to get out of my current job and have a work from home business.
    Two of my main concerns are that I will eat everything in the house, and that I will loose my routine of going to the gym or for a run several times a week.
    I think the gym/running are awesome excuses to get away from my dreadful job. If I have a job that I love where time passes unnoticed, I may loose this structure.
    There is something to be said for a full time day job! 😉

• Natalia at Hot, Cheap & Easy September 1, 2014 at 1:58 pm #

Oh I think you will be able to structure your life well…just do the exercise early so it doesn’t get shoved to the back burner as the day progresses and so the good feelings carry you past the snack bar!

• Imarunner2012 September 2, 2014 at 4:33 pm #

Thanks. Now I just need to extricate myself from this job!
        Have a great school year!

2. Bluejellybeans September 1, 2014 at 1:15 pm #

Happy back to school! 🙂

3. Mad Dog September 1, 2014 at 11:49 am #

That’s grim! I had the same kind of regime when I was lecturing – none of the other lecturers could believe I took my own home made bread sandwiches. Nice bento box 😉

• Natalia at Hot, Cheap & Easy September 1, 2014 at 11:50 am #

I think there is a certain pride in being able to manage the hours…few college instructors on our campus can match us for toughness!

• Mad Dog September 1, 2014 at 11:52 am #