Festive Turkey Salad (With sweetness AND crunch!)

25 Nov

Happy Thanksgiving all! Regular readers will recognize this post from LAST Thanksgiving!!! See you soon; I am off to make broth…

My favorite quick dress-up for food that takes me from workaday-dull to bright and shiny: dried cranberries and walnuts.

My take-to-work breakfast? Plain nonfat yogurt, swirled up with some honey, a handful of cranberries and another handful of walnuts (bought in big bags at Costco – they last and last). Crunchy, creamy and sweet – oh yeah.

At home, I add them to spike up instant oatmeal. I also substitute half the raisins in oatmeal raisin cookies with cranberries for a brighter flavor and add walnuts for crunch and depth.

Boring salad? Add handfuls of cranberries and walnuts and make it fancy-schmancy (especially good with orange/clementine segments, red onion and feta – separately or in combination).

Today I incorporated them into my leftover turkey salad. Zippy!

Leftover Turkey Salad

leftover turkey, removed from bone, gristly bits removed, and chopped into small squares (2-3 cups)

handful dried cranberries

handful chopped walnuts

one celery stalk, chopped fine (mostly because I don’t really like celery)

half a red onion, finely chopped

4 -5 Tbs mayo and nonfat plain yogurt in whatever ratio you prefer

1 Tbs brown or yellow mustard

Mix all together in a bowl and serve in sandwiches or over salad.

Notes: Cranberries (Vaccinium macrocarpon), blueberries and Concord grapes, are the only commercially-grown native North American fruits! They are loaded with vitamin C and dietary fiber and manganese and other good things and may very well help prevent some urinary tract infections in women, but the jury is still out on that.

8 Responses to “Festive Turkey Salad (With sweetness AND crunch!)”

1. Shirley Surrett December 1, 2013 at 4:20 pm #

I’m making this tonight. Can’t wait!

2. Ashley November 19, 2013 at 9:51 pm #

I remember seeing this last year and wanting to try it. Maybe this is the year! I will also pass it along to my Mom. It seems like something she’d like

• Natalia at Hot, Cheap & Easy November 19, 2013 at 9:58 pm #

Use the tabs at the bottom to share it on her FB wall….and stop by HC&E FB page for a cardamom infused cranberry sauce from Chef Savita that I think will really interest you…tried unsuccessfully to tag you on it)

3. Natalia at Hot, Cheap & Easy November 23, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

Reblogged this on Hot, Cheap & Easy and commented:

Note to readers on reblog: This is still one of my favorite things to do with leftovers! Happy post-Thanksgiving Day!

4. T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types November 25, 2011 at 5:06 pm #

Yum – this could work well with leftover farm-raised chicken, too!

5. Bluejellybeans November 25, 2011 at 1:46 pm #

Hola Natalia,
    Yo no tengo nada de pavo de ayer porque no celebramos TG. Pero guardaré esta receta para los leftovers de navidad 😉

6. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide November 25, 2011 at 10:20 am #