Here it is finally, a round-up of recipes for using summer tomatoes, including rescuing tomatoes past their prime and processing for freezing (without the trouble of canning!). Bookmark this one….
1. The Easiest of All: Chopped Tomato Sauce
Light and beautiful, any kind of tomatoes will do, as long as they are garden fresh!
2. Speedy Bruschetta (great for using up tomatoes past their prime salad days)
A lovely way to start a meal (or grate some cheese over and call it a movie snack)
3. Pan-Roasted Cherry, Grape or Sungold Tomatoes (Oil-Free options and another way to use up those minis gone soft)
4. Grilled Cherry Tomato Salad or Burger Topper
5. Roasted Plum Tomatoes with Garlic and Basil
Bung these in the oven while roasting other veggies!
6. Spanish-style Stuffed Tomatoes
7. Provencal Vegetable Tian (baked layered summer veggies with olives)
Assembly is easy on this vegetable tian
By the time it came out of the oven, my natural light was gone…but you get the idea.
8. Marinated Mini-Mozzarella Balls
Perfect for a summer BBQ or buffet (and big savings over the pre-marinated from the Italian deli
9. Classic Criollo Tomato and Avocado Salad
The go-to side for spicy, salty, strong-flavored creole cooking
10. Cannellini and Tomato Salad (no cook)
Add crusty bread and you’ve got yourself a no-cook hearty cool meal!
11. Pan-Roasted Tomato and Tomatillo Salsa (fat-free)
Pretty all the way from start to finish
12. Oven Charred Tomatillo and Tomato Salsa
Next page: Bisque; Watermelon Feta and Tomato Salad, AND several ways to preserve tomatoes by freezing!
13. Green Tomato and Tomatillo Bisque (cooling….)
Use a blonde stock; mine was a bit dark for this recipe!
14. Golden Tomato Sauce
Golden Tomato Sauce
15. Pasta Sauce – Latin-style!
Criollo0style! The way abuela used to make…
16. Tomato, Feta and Black Olive Pasta
Feeds a crowd!
17. Watermelon, Tomato and Feta Salad
I serve these as a starter in margarita glasses
18. Freeze Whole Tomatoes for Winter (Lazy Way to Preserrve!)
19. Raw Tomato Puree for Freezing
This raw puree is so handy to have around in wintertime!
20. Cooked Tomato Puree (thicker) for Freezing or Sauce
The final product! Tomato puree that will be great when the weather turns….